top of page
srdrmreno.jpg

Drum and Sword

   The military drum from the collection of the Waitsfield Historical Society was possibly used in the War of 1812, and still has the original paint and an ivory eagle ornament on one side. Both drumheads were torn and have been repaired in the recent restoration. 

   The officer’s artillery sword, circa 1810-1820, having an ivory grip and bird’s head pommel of brass with silver overlay, which was presented to General Benjamin Wait, the founder of Waitsfield, for his military and public service for Vermont. The curved blade is steel with gilded decoration. The scabbard is made of leather. According to history, the sword passed through the family of his wife’s descendants, the Burdicks, and was given to the Town of Waitsfield in 1927, where it was placed on display at the Joslin Library. Donated to the WHS in 1999.

The Waitsfield Historical Society wishes to thank the following for
their donations to the Drum and Sword Restoration Fund.

Connie and Dick Jamieson              Ruth Pestle
            Jean Sherman                        E. Brian Joslin

            Anne Wallis-Bull                    Fletcher B. Joslin
                   Irene Mehuron              Ruth and Dick Bergeron
          Ann B. Day                            Shirley Viens

Jack and Judy Smith                      Jill Burley

 

   Many Thanks go to John Reilly for building the display case, and to Jim Dodds of Treehouse Graphics for designing the labels.
   Most of all thanks go to The Vermont Museum and Gallery Alliance
for their grant which helped to support restoration of the
drum and sword and building the display case.

bottom of page