top of page
Waitsfield-General-Wait-House_edited_edi

The Waitsfield Historical Society was established in 1970, thanks to Ruth & Fletcher Joslin along with many local residents. They realized the need to collect and preserve the history of Waitsfield to be able to pass it on to future generations. Through their effort and many after them, the collection of several artifacts, manuscripts, photographs and documents has been preserved and made available. The collection has been recorded in PastPerfect museum software making searching easier and faster for researchers.

We have over 800 photos in the Photo  Archive  which came from glass negatives. We thank Malcolm Reiss for saving them from ending up in the trash and donating them to our Historical Society. Many other photos are in binders in our office. 

In 1990 the Wait House , the home built by our town's founder Gen. Benjamin Wait in 1793, was going to be sold. The Town and our Historical Society considered it an important piece of history. With a grant from the Federal Transportation Enhancement Fund to include a Visitor Center at the house, and the help of our Historical Society fund raising over $50,000 the town managed to purchase it in 1995. We moved in to our home (Museum and office) in 1997 after the restoration was complete. 

We welcome visitors to tour this historic property.

Please call to make an appointment as we are an all volunteer organization and do not have regular open hours. 

bottom of page